Pass The Mic…Being On The Podcast

100527_16-Afghanistan-117-v2
Chris from Klen + Sobr works feverishly to define some crisp sounds from his top-of-the-line audio deck. Keep it groovy, Chris!

This is a slight departure from my usual posts, I do admit.

I just wanted to pass on a link to the groovy site www.sincerightnow.com

Chris, the curator and brains behind the site, has become a friend in the last few months, and has 17 years of clean and sober time.  He is a fine fellow, and you can read his story on the site, which also boasts many areas – stories, insights, videos, resources, etc. He also produces an intriguing and engaging podcast with his friend Jeff, who is in the 12-step fellowship.  Together they discuss alcoholism / addiction through the unified lens of recovery in general, combining 12-step and non-12-step backdrops and experiences.  I have always been a fan since episode one and Chris’ presence on social media has been a shining one, rallying together like-minded individuals.

I was honoured and flattered to be asked to be a part of their latest podcast.  It was fun, and I get the feeling I yapped way too much (as I am oft to do), and am very embarrassed that when asked, I totally blanked on the two prayers that I have said daily for over three years. Ugh. That’s pressure for ya.  But I wanted to thank Chris and Jeff for their generosity and graciousness in having their first (and perhaps last? ha ha) Canuck on their show.

The podcast (number 15) can be heard here.

And as for this alkie, I will be running my marathon tomorrow (Sunday), so I will be feverishly working at getting my gear together, loading up my mp3 playah (yes, I spelled it like that), and going to the expo to pick up my bib.

Thank you everyone for being here and being a part of my recovery.

Bob_Merrill_American_Songwriter_9_BobMerrill_onRadio1950s
Brotherhood of the microphone.  Jeff, Chris and I take a moment out to say hi to the camera.  Looking good, boys!

1. rivieradinah says:

Thanks for sharing a very interesting resource! Good look with your marathon as well…very inspiring.

1. Thanks! Chris at Klen + Sobr does some great work!

2. Lauren says:

This will be checked out by me at some point today!! And wow…they were super fast in getting it out. I can’t wait to hear all about your marathon. AMAZING! Admittedly, the I-never-want-to-do-that kind of amazing. Peace to you as always Paul!

1. Thanks Lauren. Yeah, they popped it out pretty quickly. Marathon – well, let’s just say I am zonked. I need a lot of work for the next one. I was in the bottom 10%, but I finished at least!

Hope you had a great weekend!

3. themethadonemaze says:

Hey Paul! That is amazing you got the chance to be on the podcast, we will be listening today! They got that out quickly! Can’t wait to hear and will drop you a comment later! Hope you and your family are doing great!!

1. Thank you so much MM…you’re always so supportive. Thank you for that! Hope you are doing well too 🙂

can’t wait to hear about the marathon!
    good luck and have fun!

1. Thanks M – I will certainly post something about it. Once I can feel my legs again…lol.

5. clearlee says:

Good luck on your marathon, Paul! Run like the wind 🙂
    I just found the sincerightnow site recently, it’s a gooder! Thanks for sharing.

1. Thanks Lee – hope you are doing well, my friend 🙂

6. I loved listening to this, Paul. It was really nice to be able to put a voice to your face. Congratulations! Funny because I had my first interview with a radio host for my children’s work last week. You sounded really relaxed and professional. I’m still cringing at my abuse of the word “umm.”
    You were right on every level, especially how our drinking handicapped us by getting in the way of our writing. I was laughing when you mentioned Hemmingway and the other romantic writers and how their outcomes weren’t good. I’m not sure how they managed to write some great pieces of work. “The wheels fell off pretty quickly on that.” So true when I look back to some of the works I tried to create while being intoxicated. There was a lot of ideas spewing out but it’s definitely not the way our art should have been conveyed.
    I loved how you said that by the end of your posts, you are in a place where you didn’t think you would be; the “cathartic” aspect of it.
    I also admire you for sharing your DUI story. I remember you writing about the whole incident. However hard it may be to speak about these things, you were right in sharing the reality and the irresponsibility which inevitably helps others because most of us tragic experiences as a result of our alcoholism.
    I could go on and on and on. You did such an awesome job and I can’t thank you enough for sharing your story. Paul, you are helping so many people. God’s light is shining through you.
    I’m going to share this with my mom because I think she will really love to listen.
    Good luck tomorrow!!
    I have a new blog address… it’s http://www.ginastoneheart.blogspot.com

1. I always love your comments, Gina. I usually need some time to digest them!

Thank you for the kind words…I really appreciate the feedback. I think I hatched some “ummms” too…lol. Hey – do you have a link or something to your own interview? Would love to hear ya too!

Blessings – hope your mom is doing well!

7. Have a great run!!!! Will check out your podcast – you rock for sharing your story!
    Go Paul!!

1. Hey Carrie – long time no see! hope you are doing well. Thanks for being here!!

8. fern says:

I listened to the entire podcast on a long drive I had today. Great stuff, Paul! I’ve never heard you speak but you sounded just like I thought you would. You have a great voice , a wonderful nature, the best laugh ever 😄and most of all I love your humility and insightfulness about your life in recovery. Well done!

Fern

1. ah Fern…much too kind:) Thank you. I thought I yapped too much 😦 But better that way than not saying much! Thanks again, my friend. Hope you had a groovy weekend!

9. You sound younger than you write. =)

1. ha ha…thank you D 🙂 Hope you had a fabulous weekend!

2. Running From the Booze says:

I was thinking the same thing. 🙂

1. Yep. I pictured scholarly glasses, possibly even a beard. Definitely a lot older. =)

10. Go Paul, good luck!
    Sharon

1. Thanks Sharon! I went…and wow, am I sore today!!

Hope you had a splendid weekend.

Sounds excellent! I look forward to listening. Congrats!!

12. Chris says:

Paul! Thanks for giving the show (and site!) such a kind shout out here. Not only were you fully the thoughtful, well-spoken guest I knew you would be, you made us feel comfortable (especially after the first try debacle) in our first pod w/ someone we didn’t know first-hand, and we had a genuinely great time.

You can rest assured you have not put us off our neighbors to the North. My wife even suggested we take a trip to your exotic country this winter.

Anyway, thank you so much. It was a terrific reboot to our call-in/guest momentum. And if you’ll grace us again sometime, we’d love to have you back again.