Seasons of Recovery

Simon, from Journey of an Alcoholic, mentioned something about the cyclical nature of recovery and life in general in one of his comments here recently.  He also recently wrote a follow up in a post called “Circles”.  I found this inspiring and was going to do a post on this as well, writing about the ups and downs of recovery, and the idea that there is flux in our journeys.  The concept of the seasons of recovery puts things into perspective for me, especially as I gaze at the last month or so of my own journey.  Simon’s comment also had me remember about a video I saw a year or so more ago from Don Coyhis, a recovered alcoholic.  And Native American.  I have enjoyed Don’s tapes in the past, and this video describes the perspective of the four seasons and recovery.  You needn’t be in 12-step recovery or anything like that to get something from this talk of his, in my opinion. It really has given me something to think about this weekend, and pretty much says it all for me, so writing about this all is moot, as he covers a lot here.  Enjoy.

Thanks and blessings to you all,

1. Lisa Neumann says:

Just went over to see “Journey” I love his post and that you shared it. It is the sweet reminder of the Law of Rhythm: It’s all cyclical and it’s all evolving all the time. Just because we can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

On another note, thank you for the continued support of Sober Identity both on the blog and Twitter. Your genuine interest is appreciated. You are a wonderful example of living in the solution, sharing the solution, and offering hope.

My love, Lisa

1. Thank Lisa. Simon’s post reminded me of this, and since then have really been thinking about the seasonality of it all. Not just recovery.

And no worries about SI – it’s very important work you do. I don’t see why I wouldn’t support it.

2. fern says:

I liked the video. Our elders have a lot to teach us. Thanks!

1. Yup. The elders, in all respects of life, do have a lot to show us. I just need to keep an open mind and a shut mouth to take it in.

3. Thank you for sharing this, truly. Sobriety is a journey and it will have its seasons of change. I never realized the depth of this path until I had no choice but to succumb to it. My mother is currently in the hospital because she has an unwanted abscess on her new liver which she received last year due to liver failure. I’m looking forward to sharing this post and video with her.

1. HI Gina – thank you so much for being here – I have taken a look at your blog and have enjoyed what you’ve written and the journey that you and your mother are taking. Obviously the seasonality of things extends beyond the borders of recovery, but it’s interesting nonetheless to see it through the lens of recovery.

4. furtheron says:

My initial “resonance” was about 3 months I’d go up them down in that period. Then it smoothed out to can’t a year now I’m not sure but I can tell you I’m in a flat period I need to just live in it and I will come out the other end I have always done so far on the journey.

1. You and I both, Graham. Things have been a bit flat for me too. The only thing to do is ride it out, be aware of things, slow down, come from love and detach when needed. That is my overall plan right now. You’ve done this before, it will happen again for you!

Have a wonderful day, kind sir.

5. That was very interesting. Thank you!

I’m approaching day 50 of sobriety and just in that time there has been quite a few mini cycles. When I’m in a “down” period it can be hard, but when I come out of it I always feel grateful that I managed to stay sober even when the times get tough.

1. Congrats on you upcoming 50 days! I agree that the cycles not necessarily be in years, as the video described. I too feel that there while it can be expanded, it can also be contracted. The whole idea of things being cyclical is fascinating – something I will probably look more into. Thanks for the comments and have a wonderful day 🙂

6. losedabooze says:

Thanks for sharing this Paul. I do believe I am in a cycle and it’s been feeling like things are falling apart, yet I guess in looking at this, perhaps things are falling into place as I get ready for the next season in my life.

1. I know things have been tough for you as of late. I wish you a wonderful “blossoming” cycle next…you’re worth it 🙂

Love and light,

7. Riversurfer says:

Reblogged this on Rockdweller's Blog.

8. Riversurfer says:

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing, I find this very interesting!